New addition, addiction, whichever you want to call it. The following is a copy/paste from the Jeep Forum I joined today as an introduction post. Maybe Patrick & I are having a mild early-mid-life crisis, but we are both ready for something to bring a little fun to our lives... and she'll be rolling home on Saturday.
Hello everyone! My friends call me Jacs, well, so does my husband. We are picking up our first Jeep on Saturday. It's been a long month of decisions and ups and downs since we decided it was time to replace his car. With 195K miles on his Cavy, we wanted to replace it before it decides to knock out on us. Our van did this to us last year, right before a family vacation leaving us 3 days to find & purchase a new one. It had over 200k miles on it so it makes us a bit leary. We didn't have time to search & find the right van so we ended up with one that we most likely wouldn't have chosen if we had time to look.
Anyways.. we started looking almost a month ago.
First casually, watching car lots locally, looking at the Indiana Auto & Rv catalogs, then browsing Craigslist. We inquired about a couple of Craigslist ads that seemed to fit our budget, only to realize with just one or two emails that they were total scams. We looked at another jeep locally, but it was going to require more work than the asking price was good for. Just this past Monday, we went to look at yet another one, two hours away, after texting and talking to the guy selling it several times. We had specifically asked about the condition of the frame, and he only said that there was a spot that was patched when he rebuilt the motor. It sounded great, so we packed up our 4 kids, dropped them off with my sister and took a drive. Everything was good, for a 21 year old Jeep until we looked at the frame. The rear frame on both sides had completely rusted through. I'm not even sure what was holding the suspension on. We left very dissappointed and a little upset, with gas prices nearing $3/gal, 2 hours was a long drive to go home empty handed & feeling very misled. We got home very late, got back on Craigslist and continued our search. We found another Jeep about 2 hours away in a different direction and decided I would send a text in the morning.
I was pretty disheartened from Monday nights experience and was starting to think that we should just forget about it for now and increase our budget before looking again in 6 months or so. I sent the text anyways and spoke to the seller Tuesday afternoon. I stressed to him that we didn't want ANY suprises when we drove to see the Jeep, and he was very honest about it's condition. We arranged to meet him last night, a little over an hour from our home and about 30minutes from his.
Earlier in our search, my husbands buddy at work had told him, "When you find the right Jeep for you, you'll know it." As we pulled into the Autozone parking lot & the Jeep pulled in from the other direction (pretty good timing), I tried to contain my excitement and not get my hopes up. As we got out and introduced ourselves & started to check it out, the level of excitement rose. Then came the test drive. I'd have to say, it was as perfect as you could expect out of a 20 year old Jeep, aside from one that's been redone for show.
By the time we parked it back in the Autozone lot, I was thinking again about what had been said, and I knew that was OUR Jeep. We agreed on a price and will be picking it up on Saturday. I AM THRILLED! I cannot wait to take the top off and cruise around this summer!
Anyways.. we started looking almost a month ago.
First casually, watching car lots locally, looking at the Indiana Auto & Rv catalogs, then browsing Craigslist. We inquired about a couple of Craigslist ads that seemed to fit our budget, only to realize with just one or two emails that they were total scams. We looked at another jeep locally, but it was going to require more work than the asking price was good for. Just this past Monday, we went to look at yet another one, two hours away, after texting and talking to the guy selling it several times. We had specifically asked about the condition of the frame, and he only said that there was a spot that was patched when he rebuilt the motor. It sounded great, so we packed up our 4 kids, dropped them off with my sister and took a drive. Everything was good, for a 21 year old Jeep until we looked at the frame. The rear frame on both sides had completely rusted through. I'm not even sure what was holding the suspension on. We left very dissappointed and a little upset, with gas prices nearing $3/gal, 2 hours was a long drive to go home empty handed & feeling very misled. We got home very late, got back on Craigslist and continued our search. We found another Jeep about 2 hours away in a different direction and decided I would send a text in the morning.
I was pretty disheartened from Monday nights experience and was starting to think that we should just forget about it for now and increase our budget before looking again in 6 months or so. I sent the text anyways and spoke to the seller Tuesday afternoon. I stressed to him that we didn't want ANY suprises when we drove to see the Jeep, and he was very honest about it's condition. We arranged to meet him last night, a little over an hour from our home and about 30minutes from his.
Earlier in our search, my husbands buddy at work had told him, "When you find the right Jeep for you, you'll know it." As we pulled into the Autozone parking lot & the Jeep pulled in from the other direction (pretty good timing), I tried to contain my excitement and not get my hopes up. As we got out and introduced ourselves & started to check it out, the level of excitement rose. Then came the test drive. I'd have to say, it was as perfect as you could expect out of a 20 year old Jeep, aside from one that's been redone for show.
By the time we parked it back in the Autozone lot, I was thinking again about what had been said, and I knew that was OUR Jeep. We agreed on a price and will be picking it up on Saturday. I AM THRILLED! I cannot wait to take the top off and cruise around this summer!

No comments:
Post a Comment