Monday, March 5, 2012

Clarity (and day 14)

Mommy brain. The kids sucked my brain from the womb. Blonde moment. I could go on and on with the names & excuses for it, but anyway you look at brain fog, it's there. It's annoying. It's frustrating.

What do you do about it? You learn to cope the best you can. Making lists. Where did that list go? Ugh. Sticky notes? The dog or kids run past the fridge and they get knocked off into oblivion. Family calendar? Sure, if you can remember to keep things written down.

For years I've struggled with this and I know other moms that have also. It makes things seem even more overwhelming than they have to be, and the first time you forget a major event for one of the kids.. the guilt, oh the guilt. I've tried lists, notebooks, sticky notes, and anything else I could think of. Raising 4 kids and running a business out of your home can surely be overwhelming. I'm not a highly organized person, but I'm trying to do better. Via pinterest, I've been finding little ways to help organize and thanks to the site, I don't lose them, although this doesn't help with my mental clarity.

I have however started to notice that I'm not nearly as foggy lately. I'm positive that my recent lifestyle changes have something to do with it. I've changed by diet, adding more variety of veggies & fruits. I've added good calories, and I'm trying to stay more active. Physical therapy has helped me decrease the pain in my upper back & neck, reducing the number and severity of my migraines. Then, almost two weeks ago, I started Juice Plus+. It was the kick my body needed to rev up my energy and I've been able to think clearer, and I just feel better overall. It has really made the difference in my opinion. I'm waking up easier, staying awake throughout the day, and I'm definitely noticing less brain fog.

The better I feel, the more it makes me look into nutrition and the more I have learned. The benefits of eating more and more variety of fruits, veggies, and berries just astound me. The body has such an amazing ability to heal itself, but if it's not being fed the things it needs to be strong, it's not going to be. Now, I'm not becoming a vegetarian by any means. I still love some good bbq pork or a nice steak on the grill, but, a good diet high in F&V's make it easier for your body to process the meats & dairy. I have cut milk out of my diet, replacing it with almond milk. I still get dairy in cheese & yogurt, but I've noticed less bloating & gas since taking milk away.

 It has been simple, small changes that seem to be helping me feel the best. For years I've tried to do what other people did that worked for them, but I'm finding out that it isn't what works for everyone else, I needed to find what worked for ME, and I think I've finally done just that.

As for the rest of my family, after just a week and a half, I put everyone on JP besides Patrick. It just makes sense to have them all getting the extra nutrition. As for Patrick, he mentioned to me over the weekend that he should 'probably start on it too', so we've placed his order and he's sponsoring Allie in the childrens health study. He started taking it this weekend, taking mine while we wait on his order to arrive.

 Kendra has decided she doesn't like gummies, but she's also boycotting fruit snacks and frosting on cake & cupcakes right now too.   I did find that I could open up the capsules and mix the powder into applesauce and she will eat that without knowing that the applesauce has been modified.

Stephen is doing well on his JP, but we have had him taking his Miralax every other day still, just to keep things going and we'll slowly start backing him off of that as his body adjusts to the JP. His digestive health has become a huge concern to me recently after finding out about a family history of Crohns that has been recently discovered. I feel good about our decision to give him JP even more after receiving an email about how good nutrition high in fruits & veggies can help improve overall health for people with autoimmune diseases, but I won't get into that here.

I haven't noticed anything different in Missy & Allie, but it's only been a week, and they're already healthy, active, crazy kids!

One other thing I experienced was yesterday, I think my body was fighting off something but instead of getting or feeling sick, I just felt off. I took a late afternoon nap and woke up feeling fine.

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments: