Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cookies!!
Today was cookie day in my house! My sister and my WTE mommy friend Wendy came over with their little ones, Tatertot and A, today for some cookie making fun. The morning started off with a text from my sis.. 'are you up?'. I had only gotten out of bed a minute before because Kendra had started fussing. I text her back and said 'Just getting up'.. not even 30 seconds later the phone is ringing...lol. "You want any Starbucks?"... "Heck YA!".. "Ok, on my way"... I was not expecting her that early, but my beautiful little neice Tatertot had decided to make it an early morning for her mommy, so they got up and headed over early. We got a few things started early, made the roll-out doughs to put in the fridge. Wendy got here with A and we got a few more doughs ready. I baked my first turkey last night for lunch today. Yes, I said my first turkey.. at 28 yrs old. I have never had to make one before, Grandma always baked them for Thanksgiving, so there was never a 'need' for me to bake one. I pulled all the meat from the bones last night and put it in a 9X13 baker with allll the juices over it, stuck it in the fridge, then warmed it slowly all morning in the oven. It was nice and warm by lunch time. We had turkey and chips/dip. After lunch we continued the baking. All said and done, we had sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, chocolate caramel cookies, chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, and nobake cookies. Heather also made some brown sugar fudge. Putting a piece of that sweet, heavenly fudge in my mouth was a little bittersweet.
Long story short, it was my all time favorite of the candies that my Grandpa B used to make. Since his illness with cancer and resulting passing away, I have not had the pleasure of tasting this fudge. My sister had searched for years to find a recipe comparable to his. He was unable to read/write, but could make candies like no other. He never wrote a recipe for this fudge. It is a hard fudge, not the creamy kinds you see nowadays. The moment you put it in your mouth, it just melts... oh so good. It took me back.
Back to the cookies... we had a great day of hanging out with the girls. K and A had a lot of fun together. Tatertot was cute as ever. By the time everyone was about to leave, K and tatertot were both in need of baths, so we stuck them in the tub.. it was adorable. Tater was playing on her belly, I patted her on the back, so K reaches over and pats her back too..lol. A watched them and laughed with us.
All in all, it was a great day. I really needed the family/friend interaction, the kids all had fun, and now we all have cookies coming out of our ears!
I will admit tho, I did not do well at all on my diet today. I totally bombed it. No breakfast, turkey and chips/dip for lunch, pizza for supper, and bits and pcs of cookies all day long, and a few peices of that fudge. Bad me. I have a lot of making up to do from today!

No comments: