Thursday, January 22, 2009

How lucky...

I had a great day yesterday. I talked to a few friends, caught up on happenings in their lives. The kids behaved, daycare went well, house stayed fairly clean, and I got some things accomplished. Patrick got home and did some work on the house, we had a great supper and got to relax a little bit.

As I layed down in bed though, I started thinking about all the conversations I had had that day. I hugged Patrick tight, and actually began to cry. Not that I was sad for myself in anyway, but a mix of happy, grateful tears for my life, and tears of sadness for the problems my friends are facing. Each one of their trials reaffirmed to me how lucky I am and how thankful I am to God for what I have. A mother without her child, made me grateful to have four happy, healthy children at home, however aggrivating they can be. A wife missing a connection with her husband, although he is in the room, he is not 'there', made me ever more appreciative of my wonderful husband with whom I share my life. A mother and her two girls, losing her husband and their father to cancer.. a 3 year battle that is sadly coming to an end.. made me remember that I should cherish every single day. Friends who have husbands off to war, not knowing if they will return home safely, reminds me to pray and be thankful for those who protect us. A neighbor, a single mom, who just cannot seem to find love, although she is so deserving of it, reminded me how lucky Patrick and I are to have each other. My sister, a first time mom, still struggling with the balance of being a working wife and mom, dealing with the day to day grind of household, child, and husband, while still trying to find time for herself.. made me remember to appreciate the balance I have been able to find. (even tho the teeter-totter tips from time to time). Friends who are struggling with finances, although things are not great here either, we are getting by, and I'm thankful for that. Then finally a friend who has a child with a chronic illness, moving their family yet again to find good medical care and to be closer to family and friends.. again made my just appreciate the health of my family.

Patrick asked me why I was crying and I told him that I was just thinking about all my friends who were having problems, and how lucky I was to have him and the kids. Just like a man..lol.. he says "you talk to too many people!", then he hugged me close. Maybe I do, maybe I care too much, but that is just me.

I want to say an extra prayer for everyone out there, struggling with some aspect of their lives, that God will help you find the good in each day, peace in yourself.

No comments: