Just a typical family of 6, ok, well not so much. We have a very unique blended family, but I believe that God has brought us together through all the tough times for the days that lay ahead. We are a blessed family, with lots of ups and downs, frustrations and frills, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
1-19-09 Whats a mom to do?
What is a mom to do with two daughters who have that sister love/hate relationship at just 5 and 8 years old? They play together so well, but then in an instant turn on each other and the chaos begins. It happens quite often with Missy and Allie, and when it started Saturday in front of Missy's friend who was over to visit, Mommy had enough. Kendra was taking a nap, Missy and her friend were playing quietly upstairs, and Allie was in the kitchen watching her High School Musical dvd. With peace reigning supreme at the moment, I thought I would go soak in a hot bath and read my newly purchased used book, The New Hide and Seek by Dr. James Dobson. I managed to get in the bath, just getting ready to crack open the book... and WW3 hit in my living room. Apparently Missy came downstairs and they all decided to play house, some dissagreement ensued over who was the mom and who was the baby. Suddenly there was top-of-their lungs screaming 'You're a loser', 'No, your a loser'. *note* Mom became instantly livid.. baby sleeping, kids screaming, and the word loser is forbidden in our house. *end note* I got out of the bath, dressed quickly, to find them already separated and Missy back upstairs. I am proud of myself for how I handled it. No screaming, just simply told them that it was unacceptable the way they were screaming at each other and the words they were using. When Missy's friend left that afternoon, their punishment would commence. Here it is..For the rest of the evening, Missy was to play alone in her room. Allie was to play alone in her room. They were not to see each other all night. They ate dinner separately. They could only leave theirrooms to eat and go to the bathroom. They could see what it was like NOT to have a sister to playwith!Let me tell you, it worked!! Sunday and today so far, they have been nice to each other, not a single fight between them! Ahhh.. the peace! Even if this is a short-lived change, it was worth it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment